shovanadhikary

CAN WINDOWS XP BE LOADED IN A DELL INSPIRON R 15 n5110

Please help !! Recently I bought a Dell Inspiron R 15 n 5110 and the laptop is not from Dell India but from Asia Pacific Japan (APJ) which I bought from a dealer in kolkata. The afoementioned model came without any OS and when I tried to a Windows XP professional Media centre OS in my system, it gave a blue screen and did not load. But when I loaded a windows 7 pirated OS(HOME BASIC), it loaded without any problems. The configuration of my Dell Inspiron is as under :

1) HDD : 500 GB

2) RAM : 4 GB DDR3 (but shows as 3.16 GB as usable)

3) PROCESSOR : Intel ® Core i 5 -2430 M @ 2.40 GHz 2nd generation

4) INTEL® HD FAMILY INTEGRATED GRAPHICS

5) NVIDIA Ge Force 525 M

Have I been cheated. Does Windows XP actually not load on the model as aforementioned or windows xp does not load on my dell inspiron because of a faulty system

Please help !

Shovan Adhikary

shovanadhikary@gmail.com

Re-format the hdd again and try to install xp again. make sure that you format all partitions that are on the hdd.

Once apon a time Dell laptops were mostly proprietary so it was very dificult to get around this. You actually needed a recovery disc from Dell. Not sure if this still holds true anymore but if so then you would more than likely not be able to install your XP.

Is your XP disc an upgrade version or full version?

Is it a recovery disc?

• Like 1

Thank u so much for the reply !!!! my XP cd is a pirated full version which perfectly works on my desktop...actually it is six months trial and can be converted into full version by killing da wpa and once activated it takes updates also. It is not a recovery CD. One more thing I forgot to tell you which is : while installing Windows 7, I left an unallocated space of around 50 GB for loading LINUX and that my laptop is a 64 bit system...but I have not loaded Linux as yet...thanx once again!!!

Yes, leave the 50gig alone. It would not interfere with anything. If you are able to install a pirated Win7 but not the pirated WinXP stikes up an interesting situation. I know you will not want to here this but I would get Win7 Premium or higher and use it. Keep in mind that by 2014 XP will no longer be supported. But if you insist on XP then re-format and try again. I would do a search on here and look for XP that is for DELL also and try that.

Once Win7 is installed there is a second partition that is created with system files and will not allow you to install XP over it until that 2nd partition is formatted also.

Now that I think about it, this may be your problem to begin with. Did you install Win7 first and then attempt to install WinXP?

Bhai... When u directly put a xp cd on dos u will get tht blue screen u have to wait for 10 mins or more to initialize it... But i suggest u to use win7 as my friend suggested above and run it in compatibility mode...

• Like 1

@ MR. FENFAMM3 : At first I did not have any OS on my system as it came without any OS . I tried to install XP Professional OS first and that before trying to install XP OS there was no OS installed on the system. When I failed to install XP then I tried Windows 7 and it worked. It would be pertinent to mention here that my system has only one OS at the moment. There is no dual boot in my system. Thank you so much for your guidance

@ MR VIGNESHNALLAMAD : My laptop came with a DOS cd and i really dont know if DOS was pre installed. When I first switched on my new laptop there was only blank screen and nothing used to appear and there didnt seem to be any OS installed.

Thank you all so much for your benovolent guidance....You guys are so very helpful!!!! Looking forward to hearing more from you all...THANX ONCE AGAIN !!!!

• Like 1

@ MR. FENFAMM3 : At first I did not have any OS on my system as it came without any OS . I tried to install XP Professional OS first and that before trying to install XP OS there was no OS installed on the system. When I failed to install XP then I tried Windows 7 and it worked. It would be pertinent to mention here that my system has only one OS at the moment. There is no dual boot in my system. Thank you so much for your guidance

@ MR VIGNESHNALLAMAD : My laptop came with a DOS cd and i really dont know if DOS was pre installed. When I first switched on my new laptop there was only blank screen and nothing used to appear and there didnt seem to be any OS installed.

Thank you all so much for your benovolent guidance....You guys are so very helpful!!!!  Looking forward to hearing more from you all...THANX ONCE AGAIN !!!!

• Like 2

Reformat your hdd and get the XP bootdisk (whichever one pertains to your version. Make sure you know if your XP disk has SP1, 2 or 3 and get bootdisk that matches that one)

Method 3: Install Windows XP to a new hard disk

This method describes how to install Windows XP to a new hard disk. This is typically done when a new hard disk is installed on your computer.

Note You will need the CD for your previous operating system in order to complete this method.

Before you start, start your computer by using one of the following media:

• Microsoft Windows 98/Windows Millennium startup disk
  • Windows XP CD or Windows XP boot disks (@shovanadhikary, get your bootdisk here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994)

Note The Windows XP CD is the preferred media in the following steps. However, the Windows XP boot disks will work if you do not have the CD.

To install Windows XP to a new hard disk, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD (or boot disks). To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
  3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to begin Windows XP Setup.
  4. Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
  5. When you are prompted for the Windows XP CD, insert your Windows XP CD.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
  8. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
  9. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
  10. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

As fenfam3 says reformatt HDD as you have tried to install several operating systems. you need a clean driveb to install a clean OS...........follow his help list and you will be ok