Sign in to follow this  
richardsim10

Mount SkyDrive as a Virtual Drive on PC

So, first things first, you will need two things: a windows live account and Microsoft Office 2010. If you don't have it, the trial version will be enough.

To pull this off, you will need to find out the url of your SkyDrive.

1. Open an office document, say Word.

2. Then select "File" > "Save & Send" > " Save to Web" > "Sign In" (To SkyDrive).

3. Sign in with your windows live credentials.

skydrive1.jpg

After logging in, you will see all your SkyDrives' folders. Pick any one, and click "Save As"

At this point, you should see at the address bar a bunch of numbers and letters right before the name of the folder you chose. Right click it and "Copy address as text"

Now you just need to map it as a Network Drive

1. Bring up the Start Menu

2. Right Click "Computer"

3. Select "Map network drive"

4. Paste the SkyDrive URL and choose a letter for it. For simplicity I chose :S for SkyDrive

5. Check the "Reconnect at Login" box

6. Click Finish.

After all that you should see something like this:

skydrive1.jpg

I've renamed my network drive and as you can see, it DOES NOT show the correct space left. That is due to the properties options for mapped SkyDrives. So you will have to check the space left time to time online.

Finally, link your windows live ID with your windows user account

Reason why we do this is because every time you will reboot your computer, you will have to manually reconnect to windows live to access your SkyDrive. To avoid such hassle, you need to link your windows live ID to windows 7.

1. Go to User Account Settings in the Control Panel.

2. Look for "Link online ID's" on the left side of the window.

skydrive1.jpg

3. Windows will guide you from there.

Make sure to sign in with the same windows live ID you used to mount your drive.

And that's it. Hope this will help some people. Some people might prefer this over other clouds just because it has a free 25GB storage off the bat. (Compared to a 2GB from Dropbox for example).

• Like 5

Very Slick, thanks I was just thinking about this this evening, & wizard.gifPoof! U post great tut. :yourock:

Very Slick, thanks I was just thinking about this this evening, & wizard.gifPoof! U post great tut. :yourock:

Glad it proves useful for you mate.