richardsim10

rar password recovery

Hey guys,

I have a few .rar files which I do not remember the password and I'd like a way to retrieve/crack them.

Thanks in advance,

R.

• Like 1

Unless whomever password-protected the rar file was REALLY, REALLY STUPID, no password recovery software is likely to work.

Why?

Because the examples shown with all such products presume a password like "abc" -- which only a COMPLETE IDIOT would use.

Once you start trying to crack complex passwords (those including uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters), the time required to do the cracking quickly jumps from a few seconds (for "abc") to days -- to weeks -- to months.

It's a simple matter of mathematics -- regardless of what you see in the Movies, password crackers can NOT figure out one character at a time; instead, they generate a complete password and then test it. Testing requires trying to open the archive using a password -- which takes time.

Update: Found the research article where sample times were calculated, and presuming a character set of 95 characters and a super-computer able to do almost 1 MILLION tests per second, a three-character password would take less than one second. But by 5 characters, you were already over two HOURS. Eight characters pushed this to 2 centuries. 10 characters pushed this to nearly 2000 Millenia -- 2 Trillion years.

But, the research article only timed the creation of passwords. To use a cracking program, you have to test the passwords. Even if you had an automatic test, it wouldn't be able to open the archive faster than 100 times a second (if that). So, you drop from a million per second to 100 per second. Times now increase astronomically!

Not saying it Can't be done -- just saying that any reasonably complex password is going to take a LONG, LONG, LONG time to discover.

Edited by Mark Phelps
Found research article with times

Unless whomever password-protected the rar file was REALLY, REALLY STUPID, no password recovery software is likely to work.

Why?

Because the examples shown with all such products presume a password like "abc" -- which only a COMPLETE IDIOT would use.

Once you start trying to crack complex passwords (those including uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters), the time required to do the cracking quickly jumps from a few seconds (for "abc") to days -- to weeks -- to months.

It's a simple matter of mathematics -- regardless of what you see in the Movies, password crackers can NOT figure out one character at a time; instead, they generate a complete password and then test it. Testing requires trying to open the archive using a password -- which takes time.

Update: Found the research article where sample times were calculated, and presuming a character set of 95 characters and a super-computer able to do almost 1 MILLION tests per second, a three-character password would take less than one second. But by 5 characters, you were already over two HOURS. Eight characters pushed this to 2 centuries. 10 characters pushed this to nearly 2000 Millenia -- 2 Trillion years.

This omitted the largest controlling factor -- the time taken to TEST each password. If it takes 100th of a second to open the archive each time, the times needed have to be multiplied by 1000!

Not saying it Can't be done -- just saying that any reasonably complex password is going to take a LONG, LONG, LONG time to discover.

Yep, I fully agree with what you said there. I did some research and indeed, most programs would take a long time trying to solve complex passwords. However, since my rar files were only intended to avoid usage from the rest of my family, my password was relatively simple, i.e. a normal word. No uppercases or weird characters or numbers involved. So I'm assuming a good rar password retriever can find it in a matter of hours.

Anyways, let's not dwell about the details, I just want to find something that presumably works and try it out.

Well, good luck on that. Even using only lowercase letters, the time quickly goes from seconds to years once you get beyond a handful of characters. I tried the prevalent ones a while back, let my PC run for days, and accomplished nothing at all. I don't recall if the apps had any kind of progress indicator -- should be easy enough to do.