Sign in to follow this  
gxxd2

windows xp pro

i have an installation cd for a dell computer of wondows xp pro i dont have the computer anymore will this copy of windowa xp work on my new computer which is a hp m7177c i want to put a fresh os on it....thank you in advance for any help you can give me

well windows should work on hp but do u have all the hp drivers for the laptop ? if you do have all the drivers then u can install it .. the only thing that wont be available is the dell softwares which are on the CD.. wont work on HP

make sure u have all the HP drivers before u install

• Like 3

Should work depending on how new or old the disk is. Because what the manufactures & Windows have been doing is embedding some code that checks the Bios of the machine that the purposed OS will b installed on. But I would imagine that most if not all Win XP OSs that were distributed were done B4 this newest attempt of Windows 2 generate more revenue in licensing fees. Basically I would say that its 50/50. Either it will work or it wont. But even if it doesn't U could still do it U will just need to burn a disk with only the information needed 2 install or build the OS. Yeah & like DS said above. U will then just need to install all of the drivers. HP does a pretty good job of making it easy 2 find all drivers. U will really just need 2 know the make & model.

kk, Have fun.

dirty ;P

• Like 1

Should work after you obtain all the Dell drivers for our model of laptop.

I'd be surprised. Dell install discs look for Dell machines in bios. Dell was the first to do so and HP/Compaq next.