Sign in to follow this  
pugpaw

Asus Laptop Hard Drive

I hope some one can explain this to me.

I have an Asus G74S-T1.

It has a 500 gb hard drive, that is partitioned in a C and D parts.

I am wondering why, as the HD is so small, and C is larger than D.

C is 186 gb, and D is 254.

It seems to be a very strange thing to me.

Is there an upside/downside to this?

Thanks for any info.

u tel c is 186 gb and d is 254 gb... thn how can c be large thn d? sry...

its ur wish to partition it to the size u want... anytime u want u can change its size :)

• Like 1

I would say no U could partition it the way U want. But I will say that it could be that Asus figures that U would need enough room 4 UR Os & whatever U store on that side but I never store anything with my Os. I keep all my goodies on a separate partition just in case i have to reformat the Os I don't loose anything.

What I would do is clone the disk as is. [Just so that U keep all OEM info]

Then I would repartition the way I wanted it

In fact I wouldn't have my C drive b any larger that 50-60 gig.

The tool I would use 4 this is Acronis True Image Home.

• Like 3

As much as im craking up inside its our duty to help .... there is nothing wrong in C drive or D drive the size does not matter when the system was assembled and partitioned the person who did it just split the HD to 186 and 254 that is all if u want you can reinstall the whole OS and self partition it making it so that C has more space directly

If you ask me C drive should jsut be the size of OS approx 80 everything else should be installed iN D

• Like 1

its quite possible whether you bought the laptop that way or not that c would be smaller than d as the vendor created a restore backup taking space away from the root drive, plus the c drive, being the boot drive would also have space reserved for the OS. imo

Well whatever U do clone that drive there R some hidden portions U don't see I guarantee. If U doubt me then just try a tool like Acronis Disk Director & U will see. I know my lenovo had 2 hidden. 1 system & the other recovery plus another 3 that where visible C D & some-other 1 I don't remember & it doesn't matter 2 me, because its cloned, & so if I ever need that info or configuration again I have it, but doubt that I will.

• Like 3

Well, that makes sense now.

It's just with all the computers I've ever owned I have never come across this particular thing before.

I appreciate all the explanations.

Thanks for helping

• Like 2

Its just how "they" do thing now [they being the manufacturers].

• Like 1

to add to this...everything above is correct ...so C drive should be smaller ( like 60-80 gb) just for the OS, this way you can't use it to install your apps....which should be done on the D drive...then an extra partion can be made to load various other crap like downloads, temp apps, etc.

All this is done to protect yourself, if you ever need to install your OS again...you don't lose much since all apps and files are someplace else...this is what the smart money does...

• Like 2