Sign in to follow this  
spanishguy

Win7 does not like my 4gig

My much abused old vista machine finally took the knock so I had to get a fast replacement. Got a msi  7267 with an intel p4. Running win7, not new but hey there is a recession on.  Problem is. I loaded it with 4 matching dims (1GB) and it stops loading windows after the initial screen comes up. It loads in safe mode but not in normal. It does not matter which dimms I use or which slots they go in the result is the same. The bios sees them as good (and they are!!) but win7 just refuses to load with them. with 3 it's all ok. I have tried just about everything I know (not a lot ;) ) and now I am about ready for the funny farm. Anyone have any ideas???

Try just one stick ( swap each time) at a  time to rule out   ram.

Yes  could  be  bad slot as  well..but  process  of  elimination  is  required  here

• Like 1

I was going to say the same thing, but was busy to answer

Y'all two are faster than me :) hehehehe Awesome mates :yourock: @ daytrader and smithy69er

• Like 1

I was thinking it may be a video problem myself. is it any 3 pieces work? Have you ever logged into reg. mode or only safe mode? The fact you have loaded the whole system with the memory makes me think it may be something else.

is ur OS 32 bit?

If so it may be possible for happening that

If your 4 sticks of ram are a total of 1Gb I'm surprised you had it working at all with Win7 doesn't matter if it was 32 or 64bit. The minimum you can really run it on is 1.5Gb as I've done it on another computer before but it struggled with that tbh.

I have 4GB on this laptop and it's a 5 year old with Win7 32bit (32bit maxes out @ 4GB if I remember right)

I have 4GB on this laptop and it's a 5 year old with Win7 32bit (32bit maxes out @ 4GB if I remember right)

Then you are only making use of about 3Gb then. 64bit will make better use of 4Gb

If your 4 sticks of ram are a total of 1Gb I'm surprised you had it working at all with Win7 doesn't matter if it was 32 or 64bit. The minimum you can really run it on is 1.5Gb as I've done it on another computer before but it struggled with that tbh.

I apologise for my crazy moment lol....not sure why I typed 1Gb when it clearly says 4Gb :blink: