Sign in to follow this  
Mark Phelps

Upgrading to Win 8.1 -- can't install

Has anyone else actually tried using the Win 8.1 32-bit RTM DVD to do an update to Win8 Pro 32-bit?

Asking because I downloaded it (before the links died) and made a DVD (and a USB) from the file:

Windows_8.1_EN-US_x86.iso (2.71GB)

And when I run it, it prompts for a key code -- from which I've read, it will take the current Win8 key.

So, I tried both my WMC code and the original DVD box code -- and it takes neither of them.  Says they're not good "for this version of Windows".

I've been reading all over the Net about folks installing this and then activating with their current Win8 key -- and I can't even get past the product key step.

UPDATE: Think I've solved it -- by  modifying a config file to NOT prompt for a key.

• Like 1

Hope you got this fixed Mark - I got a laptop with Win8, but the system is giving me problems and I haven't fixed it yet :(

Win 8.1 is a preview OS and to be honest I've just dumped 8 and gone back to 7. Win 8.1 was not a lot different to 8 or at least not different enough. My serial I got from MS themselves because it was a preview and it was only valid for the preview.

• Like 1

Hope you got this fixed Mark - I got a laptop with Win8, but the system is giving me problems and I haven't fixed it yet :(

Got it fixed -- kind of ...

Was able to install the Win 8.1 upgrade using the default Win8 Pro key -- so that part worked.

But, when I went to install the WMC add-on, that key wouldn't work.  I have a valid WMC key but I didn't use it because I didn't want it to get locked to 8.1.

Also, with this build, there is a watermark on the desktop -- which I didn't expect to see with an RTM build.

So, I restored my working version of Win8 Pro and will wait until 8.1 arrives through the Windows update channel in October.  When that happens, getting the update from the Windows Store will most certainly include getting a new WMC key.

I did it successfully on 64 bit

You did WHAT successfully?

There are four steps involved in "migrating" from Win8 Pro WMC to Win8.1 Pro WMC:

1) Installing Win8.1 Pro (without WMC) [the WZT ISO does not include WMC]

2) Activating Win8.1 Pro

3) Installing the WMC add-on to Win8.1

4) Activating the installed WMC add-on

I only went as far as step 1) because I couldn't install the WMC add-on using the default Win8.1 Pro key.  The dialogue box wouldn't accept that key and wouldn't give me an option to go any further.

What I was trying to do was seeing if I could do 1) and 3) without activation -- and that does not appear possible. I could do 1) using the default key, but I could not do 3).

I've read on other forums of folks doing all 4 -- but they did it by calling a UK phone number to activate their copy -- something I don't want to do.

So, were you able to do all four?

And, did you have to use one legit key or two? (one for Win8.1 Pro, and a different one for Win 8.1 Pro WMC add-on).