ScrAtcHLikemE

XP over Windows 7

Need a little more info on your system.

What is the make and model?

Is there an OS on there now? If so, which one?

At this point I would guess that you need to setup your boot config to boot first to CD. If no CD then boot first to USB.

Let us know so we can further assist you with this issue.

UPDATE: forget that I asked about if there was an OS on your system now. I see it in your psot title.

First, When you are reformatting, are you getting rid of the 2nd partition that Windows 7 has created? If not, then you must delete that partition as well. As long as that partition is still on the HDD, then you will not be able to install xp over 7. There are system files on that 2nd partition that is keeping you from installing xp.

Let us know.

fennfamm3 is right

when installing windows over windows LOL

when asked (during the install process) where to install windows (what drive) click advanced and delete all partitions

this will leave only unpartitioned space (aka new hard drive is the same way)

now you can create a new partition and then install windows normally

windows does not like to install over another windows OS

the only other way would be to partition the drive into sections / install more than one operating system and dual boot (xp and win 7)

the system. (which is a whole other discussion)

/r

linux

If you are sure that you now have only one partition on your HHD and it has been formated, then try this:

1) go into the BIOS settings

2) see if the SATA is set on AHCI. If so, then change to IDE or ATA.

3) exit and save changes

4) load windows xp in drive and reboot

5) install xp.

If you are not sure how to get into the BIOS, then let us know as they are different ways depending on manufaturers. But you can try tapping several times on F1, F2, F3 or DELETE when system first boots. If you are not comfortable with messing with the BIOS then see if you can get someone who is to do this for you or we can guide you step-by-step. We just need exact model# of your computer.

There is a posiblity that Sony has a proprietary and wont let you use anything other than their windows os. if this is the case more than likely u will have to contact sony and buy a xp restore disk from them. usually around $10 usd.

You didn't say which version of Win7 (or I missed it), but Win7 Pro has the ability to operated in XP mode -- meaning, you don't have to install XP to run XP-related stuff. Also, realize that XP drivers, especially video and audio, are very different from Win7 drivers -- thus, unless you find and save off those drivers ahead of time, when you erase Win7 and replace it with XP, video will probably work by default, but you're likely to have no audio.

Hi

first off i have viao myself and i rather prefer windows 7 than xp its much smaller and easier ... anyway if xp is your choice... then first u need to delete all the viao services... why im telling u this .. viao new laptops have a button called the assist which has some memory partitioned to it regardless of your hard drive if you roll back changes it will go back to windows 7 and not xp

... its too complicated to remove that from your laptop but your best bet is press f8 during boot just make sure u got the xp cd in and keep pressing it im sure it will show all options of safe mode blah blah .. at lest that's what my vaio does .....Id recommend stick with windows 7 .. cuz all new applications are losing compatibility with xp slowly ..and just like mark said ... u willl lose audio mostly ... viao is complicated i realized it myself just recently after i got used to it so i never mess around just keep it in top condition with watever there is

• Like 2

1st of all u cannot install win xp in the partition where win 7 is installed unless u hard format that partition... thn if u still want to install it its a tedious job... also as my seniors have told above u will loose precious data... if u still do it these are all the errors tht u will get

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

buddy i suggest u not to do it... but if u r determined u follow this

First.

On the Setup of your bios.

Choose the ATA instead of AHCI on the SATA configuration..

then now apply the changes. then insert your cd on the cd rom. make sure you have chosen the cd as your first boot device.

• Like 1

member has not been back on CW sence Dec 13, 2011 so I think we should close this thread. Just my thoughts.