shovanadhikary

HOW TO ENSURE BEST BATTERY LIFE FOR DELL INSPIRON R 15 n5110 ?

Can some one please tell me that if the laptop is on and Iam working on it and it is fully charged also, then do I need to continue charging or stop charging? I use a Dell Inspiron 15R n5110. please help

I have same laptop bro :) there is no need to worry about if you leave your laptop connected with AC when its shows charging is full. Electronically the circuit is design to disconnect the battery connections when it is fully charge along with the AC switch which is connected so there is no need to worry about your battery or laptop :)

• Like 3

shovanadhikary,

Your dell documents should give you an idea but for best results you should actually unplug the laptop from the power supply once it is fully charged. Then once it gets to approx 10 % battery life then plug back in and recharge to full charge then repeat process. It is harder on a battery when you leave the laptop plugged in to power supply all the time and don't let the battery discharge and then recharge. If you plan on leaving the laptop plugged in all the time then either remove the battery once fully charged or see if your dell has a small program that allows the battery to stop charging while it is plugged in. It would do this untill next reboot. If you right click on the battery meter it should give you this option to stop charging until next reboot.

One more thing.....never discharge the battery completely. this is very hard on a battery also. These batterys are not like the older ones that had a memory.

• Like 2

do I need to continue charging or stop charging?

Quick answer is no U dont need 2 keep charging the battery.

More Detail.

I have a HPdv____ laptop with a battery recall that HP doesnt want to replace, so I dont even use that battery. I drained it fully, & leave it tucked away in a drawer 4 easy access. The battery works great, but do 2 the recall I dont use it unless I know I am going to b going out of town. U see thats Y I bought it the laptop; entertainment/school. I dont use it 4 school anymore its 2 big with a 17" monitor. So in short I store that battery.

[ Oh, BTW I am boycotting HP dont buy their junk they dont stand behind it, & therefor U shouldnt buy it. I just replace the MoBo, & fought with them 2 replace it considering the known engineering flaws, & lawsuit over the whole thing.] [Just telling U my experience with HP U make UR own decisions.]

When the MoBo went on the HP I replaced that laptop with a lenovo I heard good things, & have fix a few 4 friends. I mention this because it has a little utility that U can tweak @ what % U want the battery 2 charge. Could b that dell would have something like this 4 UR machine. Worth a look.

Lastly I just mention my own 2 give u more insight. Both of my laptops run with out the battery if i choose. I would imagine URs does 2.

2 test just shut it down [disconnect anything plugged in] remove the battery. Reconnect just the powerCord 2 the jack press power. Will either boot or it wont. :D

kk, Good-luck,

dirty ;p

• Like 3

I write this comment via using Dell Inpiron 15R N5110 Ci7 :) my own laptop ha ha people screw up thier batteries by doing fullydischarge and by playing heavy games on a battery. I used my laptop upto 6 months and my battery give me full back upto 3+ hours ....

• Like 2

I have had my laptop since 2008 my battery lasts as long as it did when new 3.5/4 hrs.

Just came back 2 say that I cant honestly say the battery isnt drained 100%. I let it die down till almost dead, & Shut it down & remove bat. The only reason I have for this is I dont want 2 crash my OS.

2 the other guyz point electronics with rechargeable lithium ions come from the manufacture with some charge. So I agree that U dont want 2 run it down all the way, but like I said I run mine down nearly dead/fullyDischarged.

Edited by dirtylow
  • Like 1

I have laptop 11.1" last me 5 hrs+ (Depend configurations) and other 2 netbooks can run 6 hrs top because that I am using bigger packs and SSD Drive. :)

ATGPUD2003

shovanadhikary,

Your dell documents should give you an idea but for best results you should actually unplug the laptop from the power supply once it is fully charged. Then once it gets to approx 10 % battery life then plug back in and recharge to full charge then repeat process. It is harder on a battery when you leave the laptop plugged in to power supply all the time and don't let the battery discharge and then recharge. If you plan on leaving the laptop plugged in all the time then either remove the battery once fully charged or see if your dell has a small program that allows the battery to stop charging while it is plugged in. It would do this untill next reboot. If you right click on the battery meter it should give you this option to stop charging until next reboot.

One more thing.....never discharge the battery completely. this is very hard on a battery also. These batterys are not like the older ones that had a memory.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you here. Since the Lithium ion batteries do not have memory effects, at least none to worry about, then why would the op

discharge the battery to 10% and recharge, and the repeat the process. The internal charging circuitry knows when the battery is charged and plugged in and will not continue to bulk charge the battery. Instead it will maintain a full state with a much smaller current that is designed to compensate for the normal losses by just sitting unused.

Idealy, these batteries should be stored at 2/3 their capacity for their longest life, but that is not practical for a user who wishes to switch to battery only at a moments notice. He would have to wait for the batteries to charge before switching over to battery only.

Keep the batteries in the laptop even when using your power supply.

To do or not to do....that is the question :D

One thing to understand, all batteries as long as the +/- are connected will drain faster regardless if left on power supply. If laptop is left on power supply at all times and battery is not removed then the battery will still discharge even a small amount and then the laptop will charge over and over topping off the battery. Not good. Batteries need to be used.

This is what I have done on my dell laptop for past 2 years and battery is still like new. I would guess battery is charged at least 5 times a day 7 days a week.

It seems everyone has different views and even successes. I would recommend that one should just simply do research on a spacific laptop model and go from there.

I see no point in continuing this thread.