fennfam3

Window 8 and What I think - what do you think?

So I decided to download and intsall Window 8 Consumer Preview (beta) yesterday. And boy did I get a shock when I started messing around with the new Window 8.

It is nothing like previous versions of windows. From 95-vista-7 there has been quite a bit of change but was easy to adjust to the "suttle" but much more secure versions. Win8 is not easy to adjust to. Major changes have accured. If you own a Windows phone then this will not seem much of a change to you. Also Win8 is geared towards the touch screens. This I do not have nor do I have a Windows phone.

Start button(orb) is gone. There is now a "Start Screen" and icons are now apps. (hmmm...wonder where that came from).

What you think you know about and where things are at in previous windows is alot different than Win8. So far the only thing that seems somewhat the same is you can still go to old style desktop and you still have a task bar.

Getting to settings is different, IE 10 Metro is standard on Win8 and it is very bizzare. not anything like IE9 and later.

If you don't know keyboard shortcuts then you might want to learn them if you are going to use Win8. The Windows key on your keyboard will start to become a constant used key.

I will continue to use Win8 for a few more days but currently my thought is to just uninstall it and forget about it.

I know some of us chuckle when some people are still using XP (which by the way for those who dont already know, Microsoft will stop supporting XP by 2014) but I believe there will be a lot of us that are chuckled at when we are still using Win7 after Win8 has been out for a few years.

Here is a good link to see some of the Win8 and some of the strange things they did....like how dificult it is to get into "Safe Mode"

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-8-week-our-detailed-coverage-on-windows-8-consumer-preview/

Yes, this is still a beta and I am sure things will change. How much, only time will tell.

So if you have installed it, please leave feedback. If not installed but have been checking things online about it, leave feedback. I am very interested in what others have to say about the all new Windows 8.

Update:

It is starting to get a little bit less clunky so to speak. It is definitely getting better to use. I am finding some things (not many) are same as Win7.

• Like 2

I did took the risk to re-format and install my Dell Vostro with Win8. It's awesome yet with its present status, there's a limited number of "apps." I installed adobe products and MS office and so far, they're working well. I admit, this will not take long and will revert to Win7 later. But at least, when Win8 is officially released and for distribution, I have already an initial knowledge on how to use it :)

• Like 2

fenn, It would be cool if you can post some screen :)

I will do that.

I downloaded the developer preview a few months back. Absolutely hated it. Not sure if that was just me being resistant to change, or if it was because I use Windows in a professional environment (mostly). I'll admit it would have been cooler if I had a touch screen computer, but I don't...and most others don't either.

I tried the Win8 DP version on my XP-era Tablet PC when it first came out. Not happy with what I saw. Major problem was lack of good video drivers. The tablet uses the Intel 915 GM chipset, so it requires an XPDM driver. MS kept XPDM support in for Vista and for Win7, but apparently removed it for Win8. So, I lost all special video features.

Also, Win8DP had two very different renderings of IE -- desktop and metro -- and the metro version was just plain awful.

So, after a week of puttering around, and coming to the conclusion that not only was it no better than Win7, but actually worse, I removed it.

Haven't got around to installing Win8DP yet -- but will in a few days, and will report back then.'

Also, anyone using a laptop should read about the NEW hardware requirements for Win8 that MS published. They've done a "180" from the old days of emphasis on compatibility with older equipment. Win8 is actually designed for portable PCs (primarily tablets) that haven't been built yet. So, if it works at all on your laptop, then you're lucky!

I have a Windows Phone and I am thoroughly impressed with it. I would like to try Windows 8 on the computer but am not willing to it until I can afford an additional hard drive to put it on so if any thing goes wrong I won't lose anything. From what I have read, it should work on Desktop PC, Laptop & Tablet but not on the Phone at present.

grandad,

you can partition your hdd if you want to. If so and you need help in doing so, then please request help in the tech/helpdesk section

Start page once logged in.

win81.png

Desktop that is accessed through Start page. Notice that the Desktop no longer has Start Button (ORB)

win82.png

IE10 Metro style showing typed browser history.

win83.png

IE10 Metro style...notice it takes up full screen.

win84.png

Open programs accessed when mouse is moved to upper LH corner.

win85.png

IE10...basically looks kine IE9 but does not work wel with CW or some other sites.

win86.png

ALL APPs that are currently available.

win87a.png

• Like 2